Hi Bronwen
I think Lorelei's reply refers to joining needlelace motifs, whereas I
think you are asking about working the long needlewoven bars and the brides
making the geometric pattern blocks in the big squares left after you have
pulled out threads.

What I have in front of me at the moment is the 'Ruskin Lace and Linen
Work' book by Elizabeth Prickett.  This embroidered lace from the 1880s was
made
in a related way to the work you are studying, and from its first chapter I
read
"Mounting on Leathercloth.  This is to maintain the size and shape of the
cut-out area, regardless of how small this area is to be, whilst working the
pattern."

In this particular lace, the pattern areas are outlined with four sided
stitch, and this band of four sided stitch is used as the frame in which to do
the stitches to hold it onto the leathercloth.  Only after the square is
supported on the leathercloth, are the threads cut and removed, thus ensuring
the hole created is the right size and undistorted.

Looking at the most ornate and developed of the Reticello patterns, where
very little of the original fabric is leftt, I don't see that it is possible
to do the work unless it is attached to a background so I am sure you are on
the right lines.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire