---- Pat Tinney <tinn...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
My question is this: Are there any traditional techniques that have these
short threads sticking out. I cannot tell about the eBay example, but on the
ones in my church these are definitely single cut threads, not at all like a
worker thread going around a pin.----

There are machine laces that are worked in large pieces that are meant to be
cut apart.  There are threads connecting the motifs, and this is where you cut
them apart.  This leaves little cut threads along the edges.

There are also machine laces that are made by a sewing machine on a support
material that is dissolved afterward.  This often leaves a rough edge, from
really tiny bits sticking out.

The eBay lace has picots along the edge.  These picots are a single thread
looped out-and-back (the "mate" to the looping thread is used to hold the loop
in place.  Some handmade lace styles also use single-thread picots, so this is
not, by itself, an indication of hand or machine manufacture.

I agree with others that the eBay lace is machine-made.  The solid areas should
be cloth sttich (CTC) and look like weaving.  Instead it looks vaguely like
needle lace--rows of narrow up-and-down zigzags.  This is machine-work.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com