"Today, I got a notice from "PayPal"..."
If you get one, do not open it, but hit "Forward" and type in
sp...@paypal.com, eBay.com, etc.  Those companies for sure check the message,
let you know if it is real or not, and if not (it ALWAYS is not!), give you
steps to do to protect yourself.
Of course if you have no account with the firm mentioned, it is obvious, but
typically the phishing emails have a name as part of the email addy, but if
you read it carefully, it is typically pretty obvious that it isn't from the
"bank".com, and only has part of the name in a part of the address, typically
before the "@"
Just do not give your information away to anyone, and once you are registered
with money institutions, they do not ask for updates.  The only I know of are
your own website/s, which will ask you to verify your info annually (ICANN
registration), and are presented very differently.
Back to on topic.
Best,Susan Reishus