Hi everybody.

Although we live very far from most members of Arachne, I think it
will be of your interest to know that next weekend begins a very
important Lace Congress in Spain.

Tordesillas is a beautiful town in the north of Castilla, (near
Valladolid), with a lot of important monuments, and a lot of history.
Also lace related. Because in Tordesillas is the only Didactic Lace
Museum of Spain, a private collection of laces and books, a real
delight for all lace lovers. At the same time, when speaking of
Tordesillas we must necessarily think of Joan I (also called Juana la
Loca), the daughter of the Catholic Kings (Isabel and Fernando) and
married to Phillip II. After the death of her husband, she was
considered mad, unable to reign and imprisoned in Tordesillas until
her death. She was a very well educated woman, and among others, it is
said that she made lace.

But, this year is the 5th centenary of her arrival in Tordesillas. So,
there are many celebrations there around Joana I. One of them being
the 10th International Congress of lace, which will be held starting
16th-25th of October.

Carolina and I are happy to be able to be there and travel with the
German and Belgian groups of lacers who are coming to the Congress. We
will hopefully tell you something about it all when it is finished.

You can have a look at the site of Tordesillas, where they inform
about the Congress and all other events.

http://www.tordesillas.net/webs/inicio.php?cat=3&lang=eng&cont=1&id=197

If there is anybody in this group who is attending the Congress and
would like to meet us, please get in touch with us. We would love to
know you in person.

Greetings from Carolina and Antje, in Spain.