alexstillw...@talktalk.net writes:"Personally I would not choose satin. I think
the shine
would bother me, but there is no reason why not,......"

I can think of a reason why not.  The way satin is woven is by having long
floats on the front face of the fabric, so the threads catch the light.
Those floats won't be as hard wearing as a usual one under, one over weave.
Although it might be ok to use when new, tiny filaments of thread could start
to wear and break off more quickly and easily than on other weaves.

The reason I was given to use cotton rather than poly cotton fabric for
cloths was that the static from the poly cotton in some way weakens the thread.
  I am not at all convinced by that as I don't have problems with threads
breaking, and have mostly used poly cotton because as Alex said, dark plain
cotton fabric is very hard to find.  But it is possible that the same static
could attract more dust, fibres and hairs to the cloth

What is more important I think is that the fabric is thin, the cloths are
big enough to go right to the edges of the pillow and that there are no bulky
hems - just tear the fabric into squares, pull off loose threads and
washing machine it a couple of times.  It rarely frays after that.

After folding under a couple of inches and creasing it well, pin it drum
tight across the pillow so that bobbins can slide over the edge without
catching and so there is no bulky edge rubbing on the threads.  Keep a couple
of
flat-headed heavy, steel pins on your pillow to do this with; brass lace pins
aren't strong enough.  Pin low down on one edge, with the point of the pin
angled up, stretch the cloth really tightly across the pillow, and pin low
down on the other side, again angling the pin.  The pins should be quite hard
to remove if the cloth is tight enough :-)

If the cloth is too bulky, or not pinned tightly (or even at all!), not
only will it stress the thread, it will also easily transfer tiny dark
filaments to your lace as the threads are rubbed back and forth across the
sticky-up
edge.

Also don't forget to wash them after every piece of lace, not only to
remove hand oils but to wash off dust and other detritus.  One of the pleasures
to me of starting a new piece of lace is dressing the pillow with a clean,
crisply ironed cover cloth.  Like getting into bed on clean sheets day.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire