I love that people are sharing their perspectives and tips, as one gleans
much.  I note that when beginning, some of the beginning instructions books
differed in how to wind the bobbin, mostly in direction.  Perhaps the author
was used to their own style, or using a certain type of thread so their
winding compensated for the S or Z twist.
On the subject of "leather kidneys," one mentioned a synthetic type, which
could be "pleather" or even Naugahyde (heavier/thicker.)
Additionally, slipping was mentioned so I am wondering, if synthetic suede
such as the high grade of Ultrasuede would work.  One could place the napped
side face down, and it would tend to resist sliding, and the plain side could
be fine as a working surface.  There are now competitors that replicate
Ultrasuede well, and I note that it comes in two weights, one being about half
the thickness of the original (which was typically used for suits, bags, etc.
and the finer for more draped garments).
I don't think it would shed, as when sewing it, it isn't a problem, and it
tends now to show holes (from pins), unless using a large top stitching needle
and buttonhole twist, etc.
It is also machine wash/tumble dry which would be a boon to this purpose.
Occasionally stores now sell smaller pieces for decorations and elbow patches,
etc which may be large enough to get your kidney shape from.
I hope this helps.
Best,Susan Reishus

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to