jpartri...@pebble.demon.co.uk writes:

> CTCT is whole stitch (confused yet?), whole stitch &twist, cloth stitch
> &twist - I haven't come across linen stitch &twist.

And you most likely won't as linen stitch is the continental version of
cloth stitch (ctc) - elegantly logical as both produce a plain woven cloth or
linen fabric, and they use whole stitch for tctc (ctct).

As far as I know it is only the UK lacemakers who insist on using cloth and
whole stitch as synonymous terms.  Elsewhere there is a clear distinction
between cloth/linen stitch and whole stitch, which as it's name suggests is
two half stitches - also very logical and surely less confusing for learners.

I do so wish we could bring this difference into common usage here, as my
tongue gets tangled and my fingers tired saying and typing all the "and a
twist"s.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire