This is in reply to Sue's posting about Florence Nightingale's wearing
lace in the newspaper feature  As I began my training as a professional
nurse 55+ years ago, we were taught to emulate Florence Nightingale.  All
patient records were printed at that time, so "probie" students had to
print the "Florence Nightingale Pledge" over and over again.  After 6
months, if we behaved and learned, we earned our "caps" in a ceremony at
which we recited the "Florence Nightingale Pledge before our proud
parents and anyone else we could entreat to come to our
"capping." Believe me, we learned it after printing the whole thing a
million times.  Still know it by heart!
To bring "lace" to my journey down memory lane,  nurses used to put a
lace handkerchief in the little pocket on the left side of our bodice
with the lace fluffed out, and their school pin holding the corner. Of
course, that was when nurses in USA wore white uniforms, caps, white hose
and shoes.  Did we know Florence Nightingale wore lace, and in our starch
and whiteness, also want some lace to show?? Thanks for the trip, Sue.
Happy Lacemaking,Betty Ann in Roanoke, Virginia USA