Bev wrote:

Perhaps they meant making lace by hand commercially. For their living.

Yes, that's exactly what they meant. And the report may have been advertised as being about "the last place in the world etc., etc., " but the report includes information on the competition the Indians get from the Chinese, so I don't think that somewhat overblown claim was made by the reporter herself.

I was particularly intrigued to hear about the living and working conditions, as they mirror the working conditions that we read about for the European lacemakers of the 19th century.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC