---- dmt11h...@aol.com wrote:
Is it legal to read a book borrowed from a library in England? After all, you
haven't paid for it.  If not, why do we have libraries?  I do not think that
the copying of a pattern from a library book for
personal use would be considered illegal in the US.----

In the US, public libraries pay a lot more for magazine/journal subscriptions
because they will be used by more than 1 person (like a personal subscription).
 Public libraries have "rules" they follow, and memberships and fees to make
their materials available to the public.  This is how they can allow people to
read their books and, therefore, I think it is also legal to copy (for personal
use) from public library materials.

However, organization libraries do not follow public library "rules", so I
believe their materials are not actually legally available for members'
copying.  Many organizations such as lace guilds maintain a library because so
few people know (or care) about copyright restrictions.  The members pool their
money and use it to buy books for all to use, but that is probably not legal.

English Lace Society, like many other "private" (restricted-access) libraries,
avoid organization liability by publishing the restriction--if someone goes
ahead and violates the organization's policy, that's the person's liability.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com

Devon