In UK "fair dealing" means an individual is allowed to make a copy of someone
else's work for non-commercial, private study.

From:
http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p27_work_of_others

Research and private study
Copying parts of a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work or of a
typographical arrangement of a published edition for the purpose of research or
private study is allowed under the following conditions:

        • The copy is made for the purposes of research or private study.
        • The copy is made for non-commercial purposes.
        • The source of the material is acknowledged.
        • The person making the copy does not make copies of the material
available for a number of people.

It's not explicitly stated but fair usage is generally taken as 5% or one
chapter.  See:
http://www.soas.ac.uk/infocomp/copyright/library/photocopying/#1Photocopyingunderfairdealingforprivatestudyorresearch

Most countries have similar fair dealing/fair usage laws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing

As Lyn says, making a single copy of a pattern in a book, for your own personal
use does *not* infringe copyright and it doesn't matter whether that book
belongs to the individual or has been (legally) borrowed from a library.

Brenda

On 30 May 2010, at 23:10, lynrbai...@desupernet.net wrote:

> So if nothing else, if a library, which is not defined in the act, and
> therefore is given its normal definition, which is public, private, anything,
> does not know that its book can be purchased for a reasonable fee, copying of
> the work for private study, scholarship, or research is permitted.
>
> I am also aware of licensing agreements so that copyrighted material can be
> used without buying a copy if you pay the licensing fee.  But that would be
> for items where the copy is available at a reasonable fee.
>
> Faced with the above, I would suggest that most of what lacemakers do is for
> private study, scholarship or research, as most of us are studying the making
> of lace.  How many members of arachne are in the business of making lace for
> sale anyway?

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.me.uk