Hi Ilske,

Thanks for your comments. The relative thickness of the thread is
part of why I was wondering how certain we could be about the age of the lace.
The thread is thinner than it perhaps appears in the pictures, however--the
width of the lace is 5 cm, if that helps when viewing the sections. 

For
comparison, I've found a few pictures in Wesenberg's "Binche-Spitzen" that are
interesting. On page 6 is a comparable lace with 5-hole ground (no gimp) and
only slightly finer thread--dated 1730.  Page 33 shows a simple lace (undated
because it was such a common design) with picots with none, or 1 or 2 twists
at most, like mine.  And page 64 shows lace (dated only as "early Binche" that
I think is of a similar scale/similar thread size to mine. Perhaps mine was
intended for the end of a baby's christening gown? which would be somewhere
between the finest laces on clothes of wealthy men & women and the coarser
household linens lace. (and if for a modest christening gown but never
used, it was probably for very sad reasons.)

The other question I have
about late 19th-century bobbin laces is whether they were like the needle
laces, which were very finely done to be in competition with machine-made
laces (info from Devon Thein here). Or were there still bobbin laces made in a
hurry when machines were doing laces so effectively?  I suppose my sample
could be early 19th C rather than mid-18th C? but for what use would it then
be intended? A day dress perhaps? Based on Jane Austen movies :-) I didn't
think wider laces were used much in the early 1800's--or do I have my dates
wrong?

--Nancy, with more & more questions! (and still hoping my lace
is mid-18th C :-)

Nancy A. Neff
Connecticut, USA

-----------------
From:
Ilske Thomsen [email protected]
...
it looks as if it is from
19th century because of the gimp and the thickness of the thread. There exist
Flanders laces with thicker thread from earlier time too used for bed- and
table-linen not for dresses.
The picots and the edge aren't worked properly as
the lace was done in a hurry, what could be a sign for 19th century too, but
must not.
...

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to