Dear Nancy,
sorry, yesterday I had to "visit" my wildcats and five young lynx babies.
I understand you very well, more I try to understand everything a bout lace
more I got the feeling that I know nothing.
To find out the age of laces is always difficult and only after pictures also.
Therefore to say something about the thickness of the thread is as you
mentioned here
>  The relative thickness of the thread is part of why I was wondering how
certain we could be about the age of the lace. The thread is thinner than it
perhaps appears in the pictures, however--the width of the lace is 5 cm, if
that helps when viewing the sections.
I tried to compare with pictures I have from my Flanders laces and had the
feeling that your lace has thicker thread but....
Lorelei sill pointed out that the Flemish laces at the beginning don't look so
"clear" as they did later. I name it always Ursuppe - primeval mud. And than
they all got their own grounds, fillings, motives and so on. There are a few
things we see in more than one sort.
I wrote down somewhere the important details, together with the approximate
time but I can't find it at once and I am with one leg on my way to Japan.
Your question about the use of your lace is also very difficult to answer.
Looking through books about the fashion of former time could help but needs a
lot of time and the books itself. In a way your lace looks like Haubenbänder -
bonnet ribbon/band.
As always in such cases I must say we will never found out everything from
former time.

Ilske

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to