Some hand made lace is weaving  - some is not.
Some machine made lace is woven, some isn not
Some weaving is lace, some is not.

As a starting definition I would describe lace as:

A textile fabric constructed from one or more threads which are interwoven or
looped together to form a decorative pattern of open and close areas within
that fabric.

In handmade lace the thread or threads are manipulated manually with the aid of
a needle, bobbins, shuttles, hooks etc whilst in machine made lace they are
manipulated by mechanical means.

What does anyone else think?

Brenda

On 28 Jun 2010, at 22:08, margaret palen wrote:

> here are various descriptions of many kinds of
> bobbin lace or needle lace but they are not definitions of either term. True
> handmade lace is weaving in contrast to other forms of making "objects" out of
> thread or yarn.  A definition is a distinct statement of the meaning of a
> term. Please share your ideas about definitions for bobbin lace and needle
> lace.

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.me.uk