For those that want to know more, from what my sources tell me, the first
recorded statement of "tatting" is in 1834.  And with most handiwork you can
assume that it had a beginning of many years before that with teachings and
word of mouth.

If you want detailed research on the history and recorded history of
tatting, go to Dan Rusch-Fisher's website.  He documented the majority of
sources that will debunk some of the myths about tatting and confirm its
origins.

Click here:  http://www.tribbler.com/tatman/

Then scroll down and click on the MISC link.  On the left sidebar you will
see the HISTORY, IN PRINT, MYTHS, and ORIGINS of TATTING links to read more
about it.

Just an FYI,

--
Mark, aka Tatman