"Do you prefer to do a straight edge lace ..... or do you prefer  a
pricking that is square with sewing at the end?"

I prefer the neater look of a worked corner, and the interest of doing the
corner as a change from the straight.

"and attach it to a  handkerchief blank"

If you literally mean ready made 'blank',  never.  Even if I was making a
straight edge to gather at the corners, still never.  They are very rarely
square, very rarely on the true grain of the fabric, never made from a top
quality, light-enough weight fabric and the stitching is too heavy.  Add to
that they are an expensive way of buying the fabric, and you have to take what
size they are offered in.

I use fine quality linen and cotton fabric, a lot of which I have bought in
Spain.  My reason for this is that they have fabric which is both light in
weight but not densely woven.  These days the fine cotton lawn available in
the UK is very closely woven making it extremely difficult to pull threads
for straight grain, or to be able to see how many threads you are working
over.  The Spanish cotton and linen fabric has a little space between each
thread so it is possible to sew accurately.  The fabric looks much the same as
the cloth stitch areas of the lace

"Do you  prefer linen or cotton?"

No preference, but a lot of my students don't like linen (to make the lace
with) because of the slight unevenesses in the thread.

"Can the fibers be mixed, as a silk edging on a linen  handkerchief?"

I would put cotton lace on a linen fabric, or vice versa, IF that was the
only way I could get the right colour/weight of fabric for the lace I was
making, but I doubt I would use silk for a lace hanky at all, or mount it on
cotton or linen.  I always pre-shrink my fabric and my lace.

It would partly depend on what the handkerchief was being made for.  If it
was a one-off super-duper wedding hanky, and it was to match a silk wedding
dress, then maybe I'd make the silk lace, but why then not mount it on silk
and know the after care is for all-silk.

I personally would feel more confident about the long term afterlife of an
heirloom made in cotton or linen as you don't know that future owners will
take care of it properly.  Even without archival storage, cotton and linen
stand a good chance of being around in a hundred years or more, as evidenced
by the big box of Victorian clothes we found in Mum's workroom, stored in a
brown cardboard ex-supermarket box, with not a trace of acid-free wrapping,
and still as white as when it was last boiled.

If you have done mainly Torchon, you might find some of the Claire Burkhard
patterns of interest.  Many are basically Torchon but with an interesting
twist
.  Her 50 New Bobbin Lace Patterns has two or three hankies in, as well as
lots of other interesting pieces.

Another book which you might find interesting is Dentelle de Mirecourt,
which has some not quite Torchon patterns, but very pretty, with excellent
diagrams as well so it doesn't matter if you can't read French.

There is a good chance that the first of these books is in the IOLI
library, if not both of them.

btw, I love your spinning showing on the July blog entry.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire