On 30/09/2010 02:17, lacel...@frontier.com wrote:
Wanted to report that the glue problem is solved.  The bookmarks are safe.

One collar had a silk ribbon through a cucumber edge on the footside.  The glue
was only on the ribbon, so I removed it and will replace with new.  That was
easy.

The two bookmarks were next.  I tried my 'old faithful' method of removing
sticky with sticky.  I tapped the glue spot with cellophane tape.  A bit of the
glue would stick to the tape with each tap and gently pull off.  By repeated
taps, I got all the glue off the sturdy bookmark.  Then very carefully I worked
at the delicate bookmark.  Thankfully, it, bit by bit, came off with only one
broken thread, and one diamond was pulled a bit crooked.  Judiciously adjusting
the threads brought it back to almost normal position.  The little broken
thread doesn't show, and I'll just leave it that way.  The threads have been
set in their positions for years, and stay there by habit.

These glue spots were supposed to be removable..but I noticed that they would
not come off the paper and plastic signs that had been put up. (I have learned
that they were 'Zots'.  I don't recommend them.)

So, the biggest damage done was the broken clear ruler that had a lace strip
inside it.  I can find out the price of the rulers, and submit that (and the
replacement ribbon) as my damage.  There's no way to pay me for mental anguish.

I reported the whole thing to the List to alert all of you to this modern
hazard on setting up displays.  When I left the lady, I had given permission to
put the lace up with pins.  The lady in charge was also there, and heard my
statement, so she can verify the conversation.  If you ever have to leave some
lace for someone else to mount, be very specific on what you will and will not
allow.  The idea of using glue dots on fine fiber had never ever entered my
mind, or I would have been more specific.  This was the first time that I had
not been involved with the display of my lace.  Usually I set up the displays
wherever I take it.

I guess we can all live and learn.

Thank you to all who had suggestions or commiserations.  It's nice to have
sympathetic friends.

Alice in Oregon .....  getting ready for Lace Day next Saturday, and it's
supposed to be good weather.

What a relief that you've been able to rescue it almost unscathed. Thank you for sharing the experience so that we can all be aware.

Lesley