Hi All,

And the name Shirley Gates suddenly rang a bell for me. Is Gates the
person who had such beautifully turned colorful spliced bobbins? I
know the bobbins I'm referring to weren't done by Malcolm Thorpe (who
should be added to the list).

I believe they were made by Harry Gates, Shirley's husband.

I am also enjoying this thread. To add more names to the list, I also have bobbins made by:

John Platt, wood and bone, UK (now deceased)
Richard Ives, wood, UK
Geoff Mudge, wood and bone, UK
Loricraft, wood painted with floral designs, UK (retired)
Tom Chip of Extreme Woodturning, UK (don't know if it is his real name!)
Jean Turner UK

Also bobbin painters:
Jan Gardiner of Lacewing UK
Cheryl Blackham, who has painted The Lace Guild's commemorative bobbins, UK

Eve
Poole, Dorset, UK
http://www.cyberlink.co.uk/pblc/