I am sure the makers of most of my bobbins have been mentioned.  I don't
have them cataloged or ID to know who made what bobbin, unfortunately, shame
on me.  But I do have a few bobbins made by a friend of mine who does the
same heritage reenactments we do.  He is an excellent wood carver and wanted
to try turning some bobbins.  So I gave him a pattern shape to go by and he
did just fine.  His work isn't well finished as some of the expert makers,
but his bobbins are quite usable(and I have used them).  A bit on the clunky
side....we will call them thumpers.  One of my precious bobbins he gave me
was a George Washington bobbin(as he calls it).  That is, it is off a fallen
limb of one of the historical trees from the Mt. Vernon property(or might be
from Washington's boyhood home, can't remember him telling me).  It is a
tiny bobbin(still chunky though!) and the wood is yellowish in color(sugar
maple???) I can't completely authenticate this.  It is just what he has told
me.  He has made a couple of these.

My wood carving friend also was a dear friend of my bobbin lace teacher who
did the same reenactments.  She told him that his bobbins weren't quite up
to snuff and that he needs to keep trying to finish them better.  Threads
might snag on them.  They constantly would nudge each other with wry
comments.  What are friends for?! Of course her husband made all her bobbins
and they were exquisitely made and tailored just for her.  She was spoiled
by her husband's bobbins.  I happen to be lucky to own two pair that she let
me have.  Great for doing tallies and sewings.

The bobbins my friend makes will be bobbins that I always will know who made
them because they are uniquely his work and he is a friend of mine and will
be a momento from him.

--
Mark, aka Tatman
website: http://www.tat-man.net