Hi Jeri and others
I am chiming in a bit late after recovering from the excitement of my son's
wedding.
Interesting topic, as a Librarian and owner of a small personal lace library
myself I have wondered often about this. Like you I used to think that my
books would increase in value as they become rarer and hard to find.
On the other hand, I have also been keen to acquire ebooks for my uni
students as they are easier to locate and download and serve students at
multi campuses. However, researchers (serious students like us lacemakers)
keep telling me of the benefits of thumbing through a print book and being
able to just flick back and forwards visually between pages etc. They are
frustrated with ebooks and ebook readers still don't seem to allow this
quick flicking either with time lapse between loading each page. I can
certainly see their point,.
I think the print book is probably going to outlast the digital age for
serious researchers providing that the print books can still be produced
economically. Print on demand may be the only way this will be possible.
I lose patience with downloading from the Arizona site despite the fantastic
content. Maybe when my life is not so busy I will enjoy using it more.
Having said that, I have used it for researching my book and it was a most
valuable resource.

Lorelei is also correct in saying that digitized collections are being
archived in new and exciting ways which may improve retrieval in surprising
ways. However, volumes and volumes of books are being destroyed after
digitization because storage is too expensive. If the systems crash like
Lucy and  others have predicted a lot of knowledge will certainly be lost.
Digital backup and storage is also expensive and everything eventually comes
down to cost.

Thanks for raising the topic Jeri and thanks for all the great insights
everyone.
Thanks also for your work in preserving the lace resource centre.