Hi Nancy:

Statistical analysis isn't my thing, but I do have some thoughts:

- Only a small number of people buy single topic lace-making books, but when
bobbin lace is included in a book with a wider-ranging content - take Weldon's
Encyclopedia of Needlework, for instance; or de Dillmont's, - it might look
like all of a sudden a lot of bobbin lace books are being published, but really
a lot of books that include bobbin lace as one of many topics are being
published.

- I'm wondering if the 1960 spike isn't perhaps something to do with the Anchor
Manual of Needlework coming out in 1958. That edition included lacework.

- I wonder if the database counts each subsequent edition of the same book as a
new book (after all, in modern times it would have a new ISBN number) So the
books that have had many editions (all those mentioned so far, for example)
might be included once for each edition.

- Sometimes a book comes out that is insignificant on its own, but sows seeds
of enquiry. Then a few years later suddenly several books come out, to fill the
demand from people who learned from the first book and then discovered there
weren't any more books on their topic.

- I'm not really sure what the measurement is in the vertical axis of the
chart. I've been assuming it is the percentage of the books included in the
database that contain the keyword. If so, to some extent the graph tracks the
social acceptability and popularity of the subject. Today we might be surprised
if a scholarly discussion of craft contained anything about lace, but 150 years
ago the topic crops up in all sorts of publications - like books on industrial
design, for example, as new lace machines were being made and people like
Christopher Dresser were designing for them.

- Regarding the dates - A lot of books published, even in the beginning of the
20th century, didn't have accurate publication dates printed in them. Sometimes
there was no publication data at all, and you have to guess at when it was
published by looking at the printing and the illustrations and the cover and so
on. So the big jump at "1900" makes me suspect that the people who put the data
in the database just looked at a book and said something like "Well, judging
from the cover design it's probably later than the 1880s and judging from the
illustrations it's probably pre-WWI so let's put down 1900".

An interesting topic! Thanks for bringing it up.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)