I sent two messages on Friday but they haven't appeared in the lace digests. I thought I'd better send the gist of them again.
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 21:38:46 +0000
Dear Bev,
Thank you for this, and the photo as well. While the latter is better than the photo I have, it is still not really good enough to show me the construction of the stitches. However, the text is exactly what I was searching for. Just working from left to right is different to my way of thinking, and the result is very much better than anything I've achieved so far. However, it seems to leave a ridge at the back - and of course, using the back of the slipped stitch gives a ridge at the front. Yet the work is supposed to be reversible. Sue said she used the whole loop, so at the moment I'm trying out short sections of every combination I can think of along the slipped stitch edge. Then I will decide which one I like best!
Thanks again,
Jane
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 21:44:04 +0000
Dear Sue,
Your pick-up puts mine in the shade, but hopefully you only have to do yours once :-) . Bev has given me the instructions from one of the Orenburg books, yours sound slightly different, so I'm trying them all, working short sections along the the slipped stitch edge to see what looks the best.
Thank you very much for your help, and good luck with your shawl.
Jane
Sun, 27 Feb 2011
I'll also add a thank you to Susan Reishus. Jeri Ames also pointed me to the Piecework corrections and I'm relieved to say that the errata is in the section I've not yet reached. A delight yet to come! I now have 6 variations on picking up the slipped stitch edge and keep turning it over and over trying to decide which looks 'best' and most like the slightly blurred photo in the magazine. Thank you for all the help and comments and I hope this message reaches arachne,
Jane