Further to my previous email I am a theorist - I have always believed that I
could do anything if I had a good book on it.  Boy, did I study the highway
code!!!

As I started a new type of lace I would use a book to master the particular
technique then one day my mum wanted a small piece of lace to put into her
dolls house and I said (foolish child that I am) just go and look through my
books and patterns and I'll make whatever you want.

She picked one of the patterns for a Bucks broach in Lace.  No instructions.

So englarged the picture of the lace and got out Practical Skills in Lace by
Bridget M Cook and Cook and Stotts Bobbin Lace Stitches, wound my bobbins and
made a beautiful piece of lace.

Mum was so impressed I was commisssioned to make a similar one for her
friend's doll's house.

I was in a strange way liberated by this experience.

Yes, if I want to quickly start a piece I may use a diagram and for
remembering a particular type of lace that I haven't made for a while I may
get out one of the manuals.  I know that binche is notorious but I think it's
less that we don't think in the right way, less that it's difficult and more
that we don't spend every hour of our day making lace.

Kind Regards

Liz Baker

thelace...@btinternet.com

My chronicle of my bobbins can be found at my website:
http://thelacebee.weebly.com/