Hi All,

This is not bobbin lace, but nevertheless lace - crocheting.  I first learned
from my grandmother when I was about 9 1/2 when she was dieing from cancer,
and I taught my girls, one at about 6.

Jeanette now lives in Windsor, Ontario, and in the last few months before she
left home for Canada, one of her friends was having a baby.  Since I first
taught her at 6, she only did granny squares - just large ones for babies.  I
did not give her a choice, bought a pattern for a shawl and told her she was
going to make that one.  Following the experience of learning to read a
pattern, she has produced some amazing things including a striped rug with 3D
sunflowers.

Seems to be like unlocking something or holding their hands while they take
the first step then they are off.

Personally, I learned from the Correspondence Course run by the Australian
Lace Guild, the text of which is Rosemary Shepard's book.  Having started
school with Correspondence (now called Distance Education here) could have
helped.  I can learn from books on my own after having studied the text,
watched videos - am about to launch my "Tape Lace" stage.

Mary Carey
Campbelltown, NSW, Australia