Early last year Francis Buschaart told this list that whilst the vast majority
of bamboo thread is regenerated cellulose (ie a form of rayon) there are two
small manufacturers who process bamboo fibres in a similar way to linen; one in
France and one in Japan.  Bart &Francis purchase sliver (fibres ready for
spinning) from both of them.  So yes, the B&F bamboo is bast fibre, whereas
almost all other bamboo yarns around are not.
See his original message below.

Brenda

On 13 Apr 2011, at 15:49, laceandb...@aol.com wrote:

> If you are happy to use thread made from bamboo, do you realise that this
> is normally rayon made by a chemical process rather than the natural fibre
> being spun?  The bamboo fibres are very short (3mm) and so can't make a good
> lace thread naturally.  I thought that Bart and Francis had said their was,
> but looking on their website it doesn't specify, and it is spun with silk
> which then disqualifies it for you anyway.

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk