There was a time when knitting machines made for home use were all the rage. They're still available, but not as many people that I know seem to be interested in them, preferring their knitting the "old fashioned" way. Still, back when the machines were something of a novelty, there was a basic machine (made by "Bond" as I recall), that simply knitted. Any color work, cables, increases or decreases, etc., all had to be made by hand. So, people who made a garment on the Bond knitting machine were allowed to enter it to be judged in the same category as hand-knits. But things made on the computerized machines were not allowed in the same class for judging.

Does that shed any light on the subject? You probably know more about this than I do!

Clay