I've written recently about my efforts to learn Binche.  I know there are
several Binche experts in arachne, and many who have considerable experience
with it.  There is nothing useful I can say to them. But in case there are
some others out there who are at my level -- just beginning and trying to
learn on their own -- perhaps I can report on my small experience and say
something useful.

The pattern I'm currently working on is the 2nd one in the Verbeke-Billiet
SYLLABUS I.  Michael Giusiana has similar patterns in his first Binche book,
and he calls them Brick I and Brick II.  I remember someone telling me that
his version was easier and that perhaps I should try that first.  The comment
went right over my head.  But now, having struggled through one whole side and
having solved some of the problems, I do see that his versions are easier.
They are completely regular and logical in the way the ringed snowballs and
cloth stitch sections feed into each other.  I'm wishing I had tried his
first, it would have been easier.

Also I have a self published booklet by Annick Staes called BINCHE and have
worked some patterns from that also.  She has her own version of this same
pattern, and it also is easier that the Verbeke-Billiet one.  The corner is
easier and more logical, although not as simple as Michael's (a round edging
with no corner).

Having struggled through 1 side I now am better at reading the diagrams.  The
most important thing I've discovered is to work out small units within the
design.  Select small units which make logical units and go unit by unit.  So,
work a cloth stitch section but stop at the transition row.  Get everything
ready and then work the transition row.  Then select a snowflake and work it
as far as possible.  Then find a diagonal row of snowflakes that feed into
each other.  And so forth.  Finish the snowflakes and stop at the transition
point.  Identify the bobbins which will make the cloth section, then work the
transition row and do the cloth stitch.  Etc.  The hardest thing is little
sections of snowflakes in half stitch.  Here too, the important thing is to
work out a sequence in your own head which is logical and will help you keep
track of what stage you are at in the snowflake.

Units, transitions, units.

Miraculously, after even one side of Verbeke-Billiet's hankie edging, I can
now look at the other diagrams in Michael's Binche I, and I realize they
actually are doable.  They are no longer indecipherable tangles of worms.
They too can be broken down into comprehensible units.

This is fun!

Lorelei Halley