Yesterday while walking our pups, my husband and I stumbled upon an amazing
mushroom.  It looks as if a fairy has placed a lace skirt around it. Now we
don't get a lot in the way of lace around here so if something remotely
resembles lace I take note.
I at first assumed it was a toadstool but further research shows that it's
indeed edible.  Unfortunately the way it reproduces is not by spreading
spores via air like most mushrooms but by having the smell of carrion thus
attracting flies, with the flies spreading the spores.  The common names of
this mushroom are bamboo fungus, bamboo stinkhorn or veiled lady.  The latin
name is Phallus indusiatus.  I've uploaded a few photos to my webshots
album, Dona B if you're interested in seeing my lacy mushroom.
On the true lace front - this past weekend my husband and I completed a new
roller lace pillow.  It is based on Doris Southards design. My dad helped me
make a couple of these about 15 years ago when my daughters were learning to
make lace.  I've since used them for many projects including my current one
of yardage lace for a Christening gown.  I decided that I'd like a slightly
larger pillow for the next yardage as it is a bit wider so I increased the
dimensions from Mrs. Southards original design.  My husband made the
platform and box for me and I was able to pick up the rest of the supplies
while back in the States earlier this month.  I'm please with the results
and hope to get the next lace started soon.  I'll also put a photo of my new
pillow up on the webshots site if anyone is interested in seeing it.  The
directions are very clear and construction quite easy.

Dona in a very blustery, rainy Guam where a not quite yet typhoon is sitting
off the coast.

"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they
just make the best of everything that comes along their way."