I went to Cuba in 2009, doing a week long tour of the north half of the island, and then a further few days in Varadero. In my opinion there is no history of lace on the island.... at least, I saw no evidence of it and our tour guide had never heard of it or seen lace bobbins (I had miniatures with me as earrings and a pendant, and a piece of lace.... which I lost....)

Given that the people are not well paid by western standards, they are extremely good at recycling!! I have pot holders and a drawn thread mat that I paid 1 CUC (Cuban Convertible currency - when we were there 1 cuc was approximately equivalent to £1).

I took samples of perfume, lipsticks etc with me, and gave away some items of clothing, which went down really well as tips!!

Enjoy your visit Joepie, the people are VERY friendly!!

Sue