Nancy
That is interesting.  I have also heard about the connection between the mine
and the lacemakers, but that the connection was that near the mine no other
source of income was possible.  So the women took up lacemaking.  But there is
another possible source for the lacemaking tradition.  During the middle ages
Italy had a great deal of influence on the coastal areas of the former
Yugoslavia, and especially in Slovenia.  During the time when my grandparents
left it, Slovenia was regarded as the most westernized of the provinces, and
its connections with Italy was the primary cause.  And of course, the Italian
lacemaking tradition is largely tape lace, as is the German.  I have not heard
this connection to Italy mentionned elsewhere, it is just a bit of history I
know about and I'm wondering if it was part of the story.
Lorelei Halley