Interesting suggestion but it's not a nostepinne. I use nostepinnes
frequently and they have to be smooth or you'd never get the yarn off!
It looks like both ends are carved. I can't see whether the lower end
has a knob, like the upper end, but it's definitely not tapered.

Avital

--

Blog: http://apinnick.wordpress.com
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spindexr