Then I wonder how long did she have to keep this pose in order for the
artist to capture it. The bobbins and other wooden objects are
carefully done. The facial features are less clear - would one of her
sisters have sat in, as required? Or if just one sitter,  with this
being painted by natural light, possibly morning, how much time would
that have been available? So - several sittings required? (I
fictionalize...did the artist tell his sitter to 'do that thing you do
with your hands again' <g> ).

Other things that occurred to me: Did Vermeer call this 'The
Lacemaker' - was it ever known by another title. What is 17th C. Dutch
for 'lacemaker' (I can look that up). If he used the camera obscura
his back was to his subject, if that means anything.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada