Jane's explanation makes sense, now I'm wondering the connection, In
the manner of bundles? (en faisceaux)
If the source is French, I would think there is a French lace that
uses ten-stick or rib so to anchor the start neatly you would want the
bobbins to hang offset as for your ABC ABC, for the least bulky
beginning (vs. rainbow).

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada