Peg in Cleveland Heights,

You might already be aware of this, but if you go to Tat-a-Renda's Featherline
snowflake with the link you provided, and scroll down to the bottom of the
page, there are additional snowflake instruction links. Click on the one in
the purple box, the Double Decker Star. In the first paragraph of the
instructions for this star there is a link for a mock ring tutorial that shows
her method. She is shuttle tatting, but if you are able to translate her other
instructions to needle tatting, then you may be able to adapt this to a needle
as well. I have only ever shuttle tatted, but I understand that it isn't too
complicated to translate instructions and patterns back and forth.

She has some beautiful patterns on her site, thanks for the link!

Elise in Central Maine, where the final "Nutcracker" performance is over at
last, and I can now think of something other than ballet costuming. I am
heartily sick of sewing tutus!!