Hi, Kim

Is it not also possible that the technique was developed for the same purpose
as it's used for now?  It makes large, square holes with a straight edge, ideal
for sewing the lace onto fabric.  I was under the impression that the really
early laces (such as in "Le Pompe" and Shepherd's book) were sewn onto garments
as surface decoration.  Stitching over the 'bars' between rows would attached
the lace invisibly and the lace would have a very clean and smooth edging.
Just a thought.

Robin

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com

---- Kim Davis <k...@wirelace.net> wrote:
I am interested in the why part of it.  The problem of the curling up edge is
one possibility.  Another possibility is the exchange of workers.  Yet another
possibility is how the actual stitches came out of plaiting.    I have a piece
of lace that was made during the revival period which has a pin under 4 edge,
and I am looking back to see if this was true in others as well.  I suspect it
came out of the plaiting techniques used at that time.