Hi Stevie and everybody,  My favorite!  It goes by many names in different
countries - Renaissance, Battenberg, Luxieul in France (I think that is
spelled wrong but the book is upstairs), Branscombe Point, Brussels Lace,
Belgian lace, Borris Lace and Tape or Braid lace.  On arachne we use one
term to differentiate it from BL Russian Tape Lace so I guess we use Braid
lace.

It's been made since the 1850s with a very popular period frrom 1890 to
1910, and resurgences every 20 or 30 years since then.

The machine made tapes are available through mail order and there are a
number of good books out there.  The tapes have a gathering thread on
either side and they are curved to the paper or fabric pattern and basted
down.  Where the tape crosses or abuts a few stitches using the lace
thread hold them together.  The fill-in stitches are done with needle and
thread only through the tapes and then the basting threads are removed.

There are some modern patterns out there on the 'net and antique  patterns
all over the place in old magazines and catalogues and books.  I have
written a short piece with suggestions for enlarging an out-of-copyright
picture of a lace piece and recreating the pattern.  It's amazing to me
how modern some of the hundred year old patterns look!

The center piece in the pictures you sent is either hand made needle lace
(no tape used) or a purchased center (maybe machine made). It looks like a
style (whose name I cannot remember at the moment) with the sharp angles
and non-repeating pattern.  It was popular in the 1930s and 40s.

There are more pictures on Lori the Lace Fairy's site.  I don't know the
URL at the moment but you can google her name.

It can be made with Bobbin Lace made tapes or Romanian Point Lace uses a
crocheted tape. I've found antique tapes and there are modern tapes
available - Lacemakers' Circle in California is one place that sells it.

THanks for asking!  I do have a bit to share on the subject - my favorite
lace!

Jane in Vermont, USA where Spring is on the way!!
[email protected]


> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd love to know more about this tape lace. Is it French? Or something
else?
> Could it be something improvised? Any information is welcome! :-)
>
> http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8530/8548754978_d65179178e_z.jpg
>
> http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8087/8548755040_bd7254d579_z.jpg
>
>
> Much love
> Stevie
>

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to