Hi, all,

I came across a mention of "peccadilles" in some non-lace reading and got
curious and decided to do some research.  My lace library isn't as extensive
as others' so when I didn't find anything (e.g. Earnshaw, Dictionary of
lace), I turned to Google.  First stop, Wikipedia, which suggested this is
cutwork (so likely an embroidery rather than lace technique) and confirmed
that further research might be productive.

Here's Wikipedia:

 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccadill>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccadill

A piccadill or pickadill is a large broad collar of cut-work lace that
became fashionable in the late 16th century and early 17th century.  The
term may originate from a conjectured Spanish word picadillo, from picado
meaning punctured or pierced. This is similar to the Spanish word picadura,
used for the lace collars of the seventeenth century that contained much
elaborate cut work.  Examples of a piccadill can be seen on portraits of
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_I> Queen Elizabeth I and other
portraits of her contemporaries such as Sir Walter Raleigh.  Piccadilly, a
street in central London, is believed to be named after the piccadill,
perhaps because a landowner in the area once made his fortune from them.

There seems to be other information online, not all in languages I read.
Here's one that confirms the Wikipedia entry (or may be where the
information originated J.)

Historic dress 1608-1800 (Internet Archives)

 
<http://www.archive.org/stream/1607historicdres00mccluoft/1607historicdres00
mccluoft_djvu.txt>
http://www.archive.org/stream/1607historicdres00mccluoft/1607historicdres00m
ccluoft_djvu.txt

The fashionable costume in England during the reign of Charles I, made
familiar to us by the magic brush of Vandyke, was picturesque in the
extreme. A gentleman of those days wore a doublet of satin or velvet with
large loose sleeves slashed up the front (Figures 45, 46); the collar
covered by a falling band of richest point-lace with the peculiar edging now
called Vandyke (Figures 14 and 16), and a short cloak worn carelessly over
one shoulder. Bands were called 'peccadilles ' when trimmed with this
pointed lace, so fashionable in the middle of the seventeenth century, and
it is interesting to read that the fashionable London thoroughfare,
Piccadilly, gets its name from a shop where "peccadilles" were made and sold
in the reign of Charles I. 

 

I'm flagging this as it sounds worthy of more research, and would be
interested to hear from anyone who has information on this.  It will
certainly enhance my visits to Piccadilly Street/Circus on future trips to
London.

FWIW, I've been holding onto this information for some time, trying to
decide whether to post it.  The conversation this week about lurkers and all
made up my mind.  I've been on the list since the very early days, and go
through phases of posting and not.  I suggest there are many reasons why
people post or don't, and ultimately it's up to each of us how or whether we
want to contribute.  

Encouragement always bears better results than negativity.  The list may
feel it is democratic, international, welcoming and all-inclusive, and
indeed by and large is.  However, regardless of the intent, responses don't
always come across that way.  I'm not sure which is more disheartening,
having messages ignored when one has gone to the effort of sharing
information, or being chastised because one hasn't met some arbitrary
standard.  And that could be for the lace content, but I've also seen it for
formatting, grammar and/or language.  I've had it happen to me and have seen
it with others.  None of this is conducive to participation; I'm not
thin-skinned but I need to maximise my returns and Arachne isn't the only
way to do this.  The reception people get when they post is arguably a major
factor in why people stay or "disappear" and surely the latter is not what
we want.

In the meantime, I hope the information on peccadilles is useful to someone.

JulieO in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada who REALLY planned to make lace this
afternoon.    

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to