Joy Beeson wrote

< Imagine a list where all thousand
of us said "Me too" to every post!>
 The situation was clarified when I read more messages, but I
still want to say that Arachne should be a place where those
who have something to say feel free to say it, and those who
have nothing to say feel free to say *that*.
We are all of us one or the other at times.

I agree with Joy that this dicussion has gone on too long and also the discussion as to what we should have to commemorate our 20 years. Sallie suggested we all vote from a list of items and the 3 most popular be offered to all for their personal choice. We seem to have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous with the vast number of 'lurkers' coming forward and posting, resulting in far too many postings taking up too much lacemaking time to read them all.

I would prefer to spend what little free time I have available, to drooling over the most beautiful French Chateau needlelace pictures/article from Devon and Jeri. What a treat and one that I could spend hours looking at in such great detail (if only). I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to how long they must have taken to produce - just couching down the cordonnet for even one of them, involves a considerable amount of time. My immediate thought when first looking at them was that the density of the corded areas strongly resembled Burano type lace and the thread for these areas would appear to be the same as those used in laces from Burano. I would imagine they were made by a team of workers and they really are 'quite something'!

Thank you Jeri & Devon for sharing these wonderful images.

Catherine Barley
Henley-on-Thames, UK where it's still freezing cold, wet and with the promise of yet more snow!

---------------

The first few messages that arrived appeared to be
castigating lurkers for lurking -- I've always thought
lurking a virtue (and find it a virtue that is very
difficult to cultivate).  Imagine a list where all thousand
of us said "Me too" to every post!

Every performance needs an audience; it's a pity there is no on-line way to sit quiet and look attentive.

The situation was clarified when I read more messages, but I
still want to say that Arachne should be a place where those
who have something to say feel free to say it, and those who
have nothing to say feel free to say *that*.

We are all of us one or the other at times.

---------------

Nearly everybody has a use for a square of lint-free cotton
cloth.  Big R and other box stores sell a large assortment
of them, and I've made a lot of "furoshikis" -- 22" square
if I make them from 45" fabric, but 24" square when that can
be cut economically.  Burrito-wrapping a sock-in-progress
with its yarn and needles keeps things from getting dirty
and tangled in my bag, and keeping a furoshiki or bandanna
on my lap while waiting for something makes putting the work
away when called a quick grab-and-stuff.

I intend to iron one of the plain black furoshikis today.
The dress I want to wear on Palm Sunday is very low in the
neck -- not only is this neckline drafty, it looks
ridiculous.  A black neck scarf takes care of both problems.

In a pinch, a 24" bandanna can be tied over my ears to keep
them warm.  (My head scarves are at least a yard square.)

(Both bandanna sizes can be thought of as about a third of a
meter, and a yard is almost a meter.)

package nearly always failed to return if sent across a
national border.

---------------

I looked up "piccalille" and "peccadillo" in the Compact
Oxford English Dictionary.  All quotes & spelling possibly
inaccurate -- I needed both my sewing glasses and the
magnifier that came with the O.E.D. to read the entry, so
I'm not checking anything.

"Piccalille" started out meaning a cutwork edging, then
transferred to the collars and ruffs so edged, and ended up
as a stiff support for a ruff!

"Peccadillo" is a diminutive of the latin word for "sin",
and completely unrelated to "piccalille".

Me speculating:  it seems obvious that "pick" and "pike" and
"piccador" share an ancestor, since a piccador is one who
pokes with a pike.