As someone else said... no hitches on wire.  You want to keep it as smooth as
possible.  Large projects that need a long piece of wire require it to be wound
on a (preferably fat) bobbin and have some sort of hook to keep the wire from
unwinding.

Your brooch pieces might be similar to flower petals I'm making.  They have a
wire gimp on the edge to hold the shape.

My pattern calls for size 22 or 24 wire.  I tried 26 gauge but thought it a bit
weak for the my petals.

My petals run 3 to 6 inches long.  Since I need a 'stem' on my petals, I cut my
wire so it hangs 3 inches longer on each side of the petal.  I don't try to put
it on bobbins.  I curl up each end in a loose coil, the sharp end of the wire
in the center of the coil, and have the length of the wire slightly curved up
from the tip of the petal.  It looks weird.... the bobbins and thread lie on
the pillow, and the wire curls up above them.  When working, I lift my thread
up over the wire coil instead of moving the wire like a normal gimp thread.  As
the petal grows, the wire is fastened down in place.  I do use extra pins at
the point of the petal to anchor the wire in place when I begin each petal.
Wire is more cantankerous to work with than thread but sure saves having to
heavily starch all the petals.

My petals are worked with a pair of passives on the outside of the wire gimp.
I've also worked in the past where the wire was the outside edge and the
workers just wrapped around it and back into the threads.  Just be sure to have
a good twist or two on each side of the wire so it's securely held in place.

A local craft store sometimes carries a craft wire that's 22 or 24 guage and
covered with a plastic coating, in colors.  I've been using up a supply I got
some years ago.  I hope they have some more when I go shopping again.

Experiment with your project and see what works for you.

Alice in Oregon  -- expecting relatives momentarily.  Been cleaning for weeks.
<G>