Hello All
I've been catching up reading the numerous comments regarding publishing and
the trials of getting a book into print, both Catherine Barley and Alex
Stillwell have said much that I agree with. One of the reasons I
self-published was to avoid many of the pitfalls of going with a publisher
and possibly finding myself tied into something that I didn't want to be at
a later date - yes I know you need to read the small print but when you've
not been there before the small print doesn't necessarily mean what you may
think it does.

I certainly didn't write my book for the money - but because I felt it was
important that at least some record be made about my county's little known
lacemaking past before what was left vanished into total obscurity. When I
embarked on the project I never expected it to take nine years of my life,
working full time on it and the rest. It was extremely daunting, never
dreamt I'd ever do anything like it, but on the whole I enjoyed pretty much
every minute of it, with a few exceptions, but I couldn't have done it in
the time but for the unfailing support of my DH. The major issue with
self-publishing is the financial implication of it all and it is a big risk
to take on so when a 'book seller' approached me about stocking my book to
"do me a big favour" and then in the next breath said they expected a 70%
discount on the purchase price for doing so you may just be able to imagine
my response - the shop closed last year - so I got the last laugh after all!

One thing that has irked me in recent months has been the number of
'sellers' who purport to stock my book and then state on their site that my
book is 'out of print' which it isn't nor is it yet out of stock, though the
pile has greatly diminished - I can only assume that some of these sellers
claim this simply because they don't actually have any copies in stock
themselves. Oh and I'm not referring to the lace suppliers who do stock it,
they have been brilliant in their support.

Like Catherine, I'm also pretty disgusted by those who are selling the books
at highly inflated prices. A second hand dealer living just a few miles from
me had my book listed on his web site at an inflated price, he justified it
because to his knowledge it was 'out of print' and therefore it could
command a higher price. I told him that it wasn't out of print, but readily
available, his response was that he only had my word for it!!!

Nicky H-T   in Suffolk UK   where it is once again rather dull and overcast