I seem to remember it was said that people required a background check for
each class/group taught in different locations.  This morning, in the church
coffee lounge I was told the system has changed.  The conversation arose
because volunteers for the two summer clubs - one for children and one for
'seniors' - were being handed forms to be completed.

Since the 17th June the old CRB forms are outdated and won't 'work' now.  The
new system is 'Debarring and disclosure service'.  Only one form is required
with no cost to volunteers.  Once you have competed the form and had it
accepted you register online for a 'portable' badge (or whatever is issued to
you).  I assume this is at no extra cost to those being paid for their
services/jobs.

You can find out about it on:

www.homeoffice.gov.uk/dbs

You still need proof of identity - but you would expect that.

This won't help the people who have given up teaching or the classes lost but
I felt the information should be publicised, especially given the lengthy
discussion recently held about the problems of volunteering.

Patricia in Wales

P.S.  This is UK wide and not simply a Welsh development.