I was lucky enough to start my lace-making life with Nena Lovesey. She lent
me bobbins and a pillow and started me off on Torchon lace. I couldn't
attend a regular class, but saw Nena quite often, and learned so much from
her, not only about making lace but about its history. I carried on on my
own with books by Doreen Wright and Pam Nottingham. I tried Bedfordshire
lace, but hated it - I love its appearance, but not all those plaits and
picots! 

 

I wanted to make Bucks, but decided I needed a teacher, and signed up for a
week-long class with the late great Marjory Carter, in my opinion, the best
teacher I have ever met. I took a week-long course with her for many years,
progressing to floral Bucks, and enjoying every minute.

 

More recently, I moved to Belgian laces, and am lucky enough to go to Bruges
most years, with the Mole Valley lace group. I have studied Flanders lace
with Anne-Marie Verbeke-Billiet, and Duchesse with Marie-Anne
Claeys-Baekeland. They are both wonderful teachers, but Marie-Anne has
recently retired from teaching. I have just returned from a week in Bruges -
I returned to Flanders after a long break and Anne-Marie was just as
inspirational as ever. Lace means so much to her, that she puts herself
completely into passing on her knowledge, and seems to be able to help every
student, at whatever stage they are at, in their lace.

 

Kathleen

In a very wet and windy Berkshire, UK

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to