Dear Jeri and Susan

Thanks for the kind comments; I can assure you I did
think very carefully before contradicting Mrs Carter!! I do, however, wear
evening dress, with a dress shirt, at least a couple of times a year at
non-lace events, and like to wear my lace then, if possible, and a full jabot
would be a bit ott. At present I wear an Elizabethan metal lace braid down the
front of the shirt, pattern generally adapted from one of Gil Dye's
reconstructions, which is suitable for other occasions - though I have left a
dinner without the braid, having given it to someone who asked where I bought
the shirt! However, it was a charity do, and a donation was made. I suppose I
could have given him the pattern and a teacher's contact details.

I don't
attach the lace at all permanently to the shirt, just tacking it on with
invisible thread, and taking it off for separate care, so that is not an
issue. I suspect the early braids were valued similarly; much better than
having a garment embroidered, where reuse and laundry would be a problem.
Ruffs of course grew out of decorating the top of a shift or shirt, with the
draw string producing the ruffles; the separate ruff again had the advantage
of being usable with other garments, and being cared for separately. Later,
lace was sewn to a v narrow strip of lace, the latter being attached to the
garment, so that any careless removal could be put right by replacing the
narrow edging, rather than the valuable lace.

The best image of this sort of
jabot I could find in a short search is on a commercial site, of which I have
no other knowledge:
http://www.civicrobes.com/Pages/Robes/Accessories/Accesories.htm

I think it
shows how it is constructed, as Jeri described. No herringbone; shortening
trousers is a life skill for me unfortunately (5foot 4inch/163cm tall) and I
minimise the amount of herringbone I do!

As Jeri says, it is a good way for
anyone to embellish a blouse as well as a shirt. It needs a fine lace with no
wrong side, so Honiton would not be ideal, nor some Beds. However, it would
show off a fine Torchon very well, especially if it had a fairly deep fan on
the headside - a good project for someone at any level who wanted to make
something to wear.

leonard...@yahoo.com

>Would a cravat-style jabot be
appropriate for banquets at OIDFA Congresses?  If yes, it seems to me that you
would receive a respectable amount of attention for your efforts.

shirt with lace attached would need more laundering, resulting in
wear-and-tear, than a jabot that can be removed and cleaned only when
absolutely necessary.  The smaller accessory (square with lace attached) would
be easier to clean, press, and pack in a suitcase.  The reason many
old lace-trimmed garments have suffered damage is because people have been
hurried when pressing; so hurried that the point of an iron was often thrust
through a lace opening and ripped the lace.

>In fashions for women, there
are blouses that feature jabots, so this is of interest to all.

>You
described how the lace yardage is to be attached to a square of fabric.  Can
someone on Arachne recommend a resource illustrating the zig-zag means of
attaching lace edging to a square of cloth?  This would be nice for people
with a lot of lace yardage to be assigned to a good use.  I am reminded of
Canadians who belong to the Five Metre Club.  For those not familiar with this
honor - members receive recognition for this accomplishment in the "Canadian
Lacemaker Gazette".

>Jeri Ames in Maine USA
>Lace and Embroidery Resource
Center