During the tour after the OIDFA Congress in Groninger - The Netherlands, we
 toured Rembrandt's house in Amsterdam.  A special treat because Lia
Baumeister-Jonker was demonstrating bobbin lace making in a kitchen on  the
lowest level of the house.

In the gift shop, we were able to purchase reproduction bobbins of one
found in a backyard cess pit excavation.  I bought 2 pairs.  Tamara  Duvall
wrote a self-published book, "Two-Pair Inventions" in 2000.  It  is on the
Arizona site, a free gift to you from her).

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/monographs/dtp_2004.pdf

At the main web Rembrandt site, you will learn the museum has been
expanded since our visit.  Select Collection, and at the bottom of the menu
is the
reference to the excavation of the bobbin.

_www.rembrandthuis.nl_ (http://www.rembrandthuis.nl)

To document the history of lace making in the house, you can look up
artwork we bought in post card form in the same shop:  Saskia in bed,  ca
1641,
which shows the interior of the "sael" (Rembrandt's drawing  room).  The
image depicts a maid "sewing" - or, is it lace  making?  Sewing was also done
on
a flat pillow placed in the lap at this  time in history.  Protected
clothing, prevented attaching sewing to  skirts.

http://www.frick.org/sites/default/files/archivedsite/exhibitions/rembrandt/
saskia.htm

This is another bit of early lace bobbin history to remember.   (Not my
first memo on this topic.)

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 5/14/2014 6:29:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,