This was probably just a case of Christine being in the right place at the right time. When they were asking for a demonstrator last time they contacted The Lace Guild as well as the Lace Society, giving only two day's clear notice, which is why the Guild didn't get a chance to ask any of the more local lacemakers (in case anyone was wondering - no offence to Christine, she did a marvellous job). In fact, we didn't know they'd asked the Society as well! It made me wonder if they'd asked around their own staff - when I was working for them (in Birmingham) back in the 1970-80s I knew of three of us (I was on the staff, the other two engineers' wives) in the Engineering Dept who made lace, and I'm certain we would have found more if we'd asked the question - especially as I later went on to do my C&G lacemaking alongside a former BBC costume designer (Carol was doing her Part 2 whilst I was doing Part 1).

In those days urgent messages to staff (like when they were desperate for audiences for shows!) were broadcast on an in-house teletext system, with a monitor tuned in to it in various places around the building. These days I expect it is all done by email.

In message <1403944899.59279.yahoomailba...@web162003.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>, Hazel Smith <hazel_twiggy_sm...@yahoo.com> writes
Presumably the BBC now have you on file as their go-to expert for lacemaking.
--
Jane Partridge