Thank you Robin and other ladies for their information, this is exactly what I needed and have passed it on to her.
Thank you as always for your helpful information.
Sue T
Dorset, UK where we have a sharp frost this morning

Does that mean it was a pattern in a book which people might choose to
have made for a particular reason. What I think I probably need to send her
is a potted history not books and loads of stuff, just enough to make it
interesting...... Sue

The Luton Museum's "Lace Dealer's Pattern Book" is a series of pages to which snippets of lace are attached. The dealer would show these pieces, produced by the women that worked for him, and the customer would pick the one she wanted and tell how many yards (or pieces, if it's a motif). Then the dealer would order that amount from the woman who specialized in that pattern.
Robin P.