I'd echo the suggestions to keep the size fairly small (particularly if there's a timescale for completing the exchange) as lace grows pretty slowly.

I've found that lace-edged cloths about 8 to 12 inches square are fairly versatile - a couple I made as hankies for my Mum got used as decorative cloths to stand vases, etc, on on polished tables (she reckoned more people would notice them that way, and said they were too precious to blow her nose on), and I use one of mine as a modesty piece inside low-necked tops, carefully folded off-centre so that two rows of lace are visible.

Beth
Cheshire, NW England