I had a student once, who started out saying she had a learning problem, so
could not go in a regular class.  I taught her one-on-one at home, and she
had to do each lesson for about 3 classes, before she 'caught on'. However
we worked away slowly, - and eventually by the end of 6 months or more, -
she wound up teaching her (grown up) daughter how to make lace!  She was So
happy that I had taken the time to go over and over the same thing , and got
her to understand what was what, as she loved lace, and so wanted to learn
the craft.
She moved away later on, and I lost contact, but she was so happy to make
lace - albeit simple lace edges!

As to bobbins being all the same - Not on my pillows!!!!!!  I started out
with plastic bobbins bought at Braggins, in Bedford, in the 1970's when I
visited Family in England, and I could only afford plastic beads, threaded
on some ()used) fishing line - and they are still like that, and still used
regularly. Only one spangle has ever broken, in all this time, too!!!   I
have managed to buy nicer, prettier bobbins with pretty spangles, but I use
whatever comes to hand and is not in use on another pillow!

Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz.
lizl...@bigpond.com