There are even further possibilities today. Instead of just stopping to have
their books printed, the authors could make those volumes public domain and
give them to project Gutenberg - usually there’s already high quality PDF files
available or can at least be created easily. Or arrange for that to happen in
case of their decease by a testamentary note or some such. I presume most
authors would like to have their work to live on and be common and well known
to advance the cause of lacemaking.

Some of this is happening already - instead of hunting down the essential book
„Practical Skills in Bobbin Lace“ by Bridget M. Cook, you can get it in the
Kindle shop now for a very reasonable price - it’s a godsend to have it
available everywhere on an iPad or KIndle. Or „100 Traditional Bobbin Lace
Patterns“ by Cook/Stott. The bad thing being that it’s not possible to print
from Kindle apps, so you can only use screenshots and then you’re not able to
know which size the patterns were originally - that wouldn’t happen if there
were PDF files available, which allow for printing at exactly 100%. A big
oversight by Amazon. They could at least include a page containing a picture of
a 10x10 cm square with measurements given for comparison.

Achim from Berlin - with nearly 29 °C in my room now and high humidity, trying
to move as little as possible