Does anyone know of any Canadian lace making suppliers other than 
Trillium lace? With our dollar dropping so much in the last few weeks 
against the US dollar, as well as the Pound and the Euro, I find I can 
no longer afford to order much from outside the country. When you have 
to add 30-50 % to the already expensive things like books, it becomes 
rather difficult.
Here I thought I knew enough of point ground laces to be able to start 
learning some other laces....and then I got the Schwartzarbeit 2 book by 
Ulrike Voelcker.....Right, I started reading some of the instructions, 
and went "huh? what is she talking about?". Got the Grammar of Point 
Ground book out, which I've had for about a year, but only glanced at 
it, thinking, I'll look at that when I run into a problem....but now 
took a serious look at it, and am beginning to think I am a total 
beginner. she has sooo much information on how to improve these laces, 
and I still end up with questions, so I need to get her other books....
Like who would ever come up with the idea of using several plies of the 
fine thread for the gimp and then splitting it onto 2 bobbins (4 per 
pair of gimps), so that you can easier move the gimps around to avoid 
having to end and restart them for different parts. I just had a close 
look at the piece of lace I just finished (it is only about 7 inches 
long, enough to put at the top of a cami), and realized that the ending 
and restarting of the gimp so many times is really making the lace look 
a bit messy, and there are parts where the gimp should have been joined 
to the filling, but wasn't in the pattern, so now it just sort of hangs 
there, it doesn't surround anything....should have known better, and 
yes, I did sort of wonder about it, but thought the authors of the book 
would know what they were doing.
So, I guess I am back to square one, and making samples again to learn 
some of the new techniques she uses, but I do need her other books, so I 
am hoping I have more choice in buying than just one dealer. There has 
to be more dealers in a country this big.....

*Marianne*

Marianne Gallant
Vernon, BC
[email protected]
threadsnminis.blogspot.ca

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to